Monday, January 22, 2007

My Big Fat Eating Cruise

It's been a little over a week since we got back from vacation. Last night, I finally finished unpacking. Normally I'm pretty good about staying on top of things such as working out, waking up at a decent hour, eating well, cleaning etc, but after this trip it was really hard to get back into the swing of things.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to tell you about all about our cruise. There were so many great things about it. I guess I'll just split it up in categories. The first is probably the main reason I've had a hard time getting adjusted to regular life. It's also one of the main staples on a cruise. THE FOOD!


The first thing you have to know about the food on a cruise is the sheer volume of it. Not only are the portions humongous, but it's always available.


There's the casual dining on the Lido deck where we usually ate breakfast. Ahh, bacon in the Bahamas, can't beat that. The Lido deck also has a 24 hour pizza bar and 24 hour soft serve ice cream. Every day, they'd also have a different theme - A Mexican buffet or "Taste of Italy." We ate it all. Seriously.















Most nights we ate diner in the formal dining room. Since the group we were with had been on several cruises, they taught us the right way to order. If you're looking at the menu and can't decide between two appetizers, order both! The steak AND the lobster sound delicious, okay! Need 3 desserts? No one will judge.




This is from the chocolate buffet out on the Lido deck one day. No, that's not sushi, that's delicious heavenly dessert!



The formal dining room also offered a lot of new foods I hadn't tried. If I'm at a restaurant, I won't order something I'm not sure that I'll like because I don't' want to spend the money on it if I don't end up eating it. Since everything was included on the ship, I was adventurous and tried it all.

Surprisingly, escargot is really good. Granted it was soaked in garlic butter and I ate it on some toast, so I probably just loved the butter, but still. I ate snails!





Lobster's not too bad either, though I was nervous about trying it.

3 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Dammit, now I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

i don't feel bad. those people wouldn't be starving if they went on their own cruise. i mean, there was so much food! it was awesome.

Anonymous said...

Craig and I are SO going on a cruise for our 10th anniversary. That's it. I want to eat all that stuff every day for however long we're on the ship. I swear, the only reason to go on a cruise is to eat like that! Dang...and I'm with Calderone! I am HUNGRY!!!