Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Old projects, New projects

I'm heading off to New Joisey tonight to visit Briette. I'm really looking forward to it, though I do feel a little guilty leaving Corey behind to go to court for the both of us. That's right folks, the city is taking the jerkpods at Venter & Ass. (our condo's developer), as well as the owners of condos within the building to court over the permit issues they had when building our units. It's a lot of pain in the ass and a little scary, so think good thoughts for us tomorrow. The biggest issues right now are if they acquired the proper permits when doing the gut rehab on the building. We of course did everything in good faith, we also have title insuance and with the advice of our attorney, have filed a claim with them. We should be fine, but it may be a huge pain to get everything sorted out and things done fairly for us. We're just praying that it's going to be a simple answer to all this. Hopefully the dicktugs at Venter & Ass. will have to pay a BIG fine and it'll be all over with. I really don't want to sue anyone, but Lord knows I will.
We're still needing them to fix the mold in our ceiling and finish our floors. So close, so close.

Some changes have come in my so called theater/acting/improv career. My i.O team, Reverend Meeker, was cut this schedule. We were all caught completely off guard, especially considering we were getting prime time slots and rave reviews from the Harold commission. Charna apparently wanted a big house cleaning, so I got swept out the door with most of my teammates. I'm working on getting back on the schedule, but I'm not holding my breath. Most of my friends that were taken off the schedule were given the run-around about getting back on a team. They're told one thing or offered to be put on a new team only for that offer to never actually happen. I'm sure it's not purposely or anything, but maybe the powers that be at i.O are trying not to hurt people's feelings. Personally I think it's a lot worse when someone isn't just straight forward with you. Mostly likely I will just have to wait until the next round of auditions. Unfortunately they just had them this weekend. I couldn't sign up for a slot because my team wasn't even cut until the audition slots were already full. It's frustrating, but also expected. There are so many people going in that theater, that others are bound to be bumped out. I don't have one ounce of regret. I know that there's nothing I could've done differently to stick around longer. I played well and I was on a great team. It was apparently just our time.

While we're going to be pretty busy until the end of the year with remotes and the holidays, still it'll be weird not having a weekly improv rehearsal. It'll be the first time in almost 3 years that I haven't been on a consistent team. So now I'm just going to take this time to work on some new projects. I'm hoping to get FABaret! back up by the beginning of the year if not sooner, maybe even at i.O. and take it to some festivals. I also want to do some more scripted material. It's been almost a year since I've written anything. Last year I was one of the writers for pH at Sketchfest. I really enjoyed the process. I just need a goal or theme to get me motivated to do something new. I'd like to maybe direct a show (I'm talking to a writer who's interested in using me for a show he's putting up) and maybe get back in a musical or play. I'm also going to look into finding a group or venue to use my vocalizer. As cheesy as it sounds, I think it would be a blast to sing in a lounge or jazz bar or something.
If I want things to happen for me, I have to create them and prove myself to whomever needs to see me to advance things. It's a lot of work and exhausting at times, but I love it and without this drive to succeed, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

- Mo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mo - if you need some suggestions/advice about getting a cabaret show mounted in Chicago, let me know. My friend Sara had a quite successful cabaret show that ran in Chicago pretty much until she moved out to California. I'd be happy to put you in touch with her if you're interested.