Saturday, October 28, 2006

2nd trip - New York


The 2nd part of my trip with Brie was to New York. Just going was exciting enough since I had never been. We took the train into Penn Station and I thought Chicago was big... Man, I was wrong - at least in comparison. We caught the matinee showing of The Lion King on Broadway (thanks Walsh for the recommendation). The picture isn't great because we couldn't use flash, but the whole show was breathtaking. I had warned Corey that I would probably tear up when I saw my first Broadway show. Not just because it would be crossing a big "to do" off my lifetime list, but also because I always cry at big shows. I thought it was a weird thing that just I did, but as the opening started, Brie leaned over and whispered to me, "Are you going to cry." I said, "yes" and she admitted she was too. The woman behind us even cried, so I didn't feel so dumb.
This is a a shot of us from the Minskoff Theater. We were unaware that Mr. Peanut from the outside banner would be joining our shot. Hilarious!

After the show we went to Chinatown to eat Chinese food and of course, to shop. I had been told ahead of time that once you find something want to buy, to haggle with the vendors. I did this when I first bought a purse. I think - See, it happened so fast..
Me - "how much for these?"
Vendor - "$35"
Me - "how about 2 for $40"
Vendor - "2 for $55"
Me - "2 for $40"
Vendor - "2 for $50"
Me - "2 for $40"
Vendor- "2 for $48"
Me - "Umm, hmm, Brie, what do you think?..." and the next thing I know money is being exchange, our purses are bagged up and we're sort of shoved out the door. I stepped outside in a daze, it happened so fast. I wasn't sure what happened, what I bought or how much I paid for.

Next, we headed to 30 Rockefeller Center. That's right, we got to see SNL. This picture is in the lobby of the NBC studios...













This next picture was taken off of my brother-in-law, Aaron's TiVo. That's right folks, that's me in front row center watching John C. Reily and surprise guest Will Ferrell (as James Lipton) in the opening monologue! Briette was on the other side of the aisle. I could've reached out and touched Lorne Michaels or the Weekend Update set. The studio itself is a lot smaller than it looks on TV. The whole thing is buzzing with cameras and cue cards, tech people and the actors. It was a pretty good show too. I couldn't stop turning my head every which direction because so much was going on and there were so many people to see. Various stars just stopped by and stood in the back. I saw Colin Hanks (Tom's son), Mariska Hargitay and Paul Rudd! He is even dreamier in person, yum!

The best part of the night was after the show. Jason lead us back stage to where his wife, Kay was hanging out. After catching up with her, she led us to Jason's dressing room. Standing there with him was, Will Ferrell. I didn't want to miss the opportunity, so I reached my hand out and introduced myself.
Will - "Nice to meet you, I'm Will."
Me - "Uh, yeah, I know who you are."
He extends his hand to Brie and asks who she is.

Briette - (hand outstretched) - "I...uhh...umm..Brie...Brieannnnuuuu."
Will- "Oh Brieanne? nice to meet you"
Me - "It's actually Briette" (Like he cares or will ever remember).
He was very nice about it and asked us how we like the show and commented on how comedy is always better live. Then he left.
At first we felt bad that we interrupted Jason and him, but even Jason agreed it was worth it to see Briette completely frozen from being starstruck.

It was overall a perfect trip to New York... above and beyond any expectations.

-Mo


2 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

Way too cool!

Anonymous said...

The shot of you in the audience is awesome, you look like you're having a lot of fun. Briette is funny.