Monday, February 23, 2009


So let me tell you about our weekend. Mo and I have been just hanging out, relaxing, watching some know the usual. Oh, and I had an operation and Mo has bronchitis.

I had been experiencing some discomfort in my abdomen for a little while, and being the stubborn dummy that I am, put off going to the doctor for a while. When I finally went, it didn't take but about 15 seconds for the diagnosis to come: hernia. And I'll tell you what I've told everyone else who asked. I have no idea. I don't know that there was ever an "uh-oh" moment when I tried to lift something I shouldn't have or anything. Apparently, that's often the case. I might have just strained the muscle a while ago, and it gradually grew into a hernia. It might have been a weakness in the muscle since birth, and it finally gave out. Regardless, it was becoming painful and nothing was going to change that without surgery. They go in, and patch the hole in the muscle with this synthetic mesh and it makes the whole area stronger once it heals. There are different kind of hernias, I guess, but mine was what's called an "inguinal hernia". It was located on the right side, just below my belt line, but not too low, thankfully.

The surgery was Friday morning, and everyone at the hospital was very nice. They got me all prepped and ready to go. The best part: my anesthesiologist was named Dr. Martini. Really. Let the jokes begin! The good news - the surgery was a success, it only took about an hour and I got to go home that afternoon. The bad news - I apparently had not one, but TWO hernias, one of which was described by my surgeon as "the mother of all hernias". So my recovery time will take a little longer than expected. No lifting anything over 20-25 pounds for the next 2 months. Generally taking it easy for a week before getting back to my daily routine, save for the lifting, and I have a freaky 5" slice across my gut.

It's painful, but the Vicodin helps. I'm managing the pain pretty well. In fact, just sitting or laying around it's not too bad now. It's getting up or sitting down that hurts. And laughing, of course. And when the medicine is wearing off. But I'm getting by. I got a great care package from my mom, and my cousin Anne has been a great help, I'm so glad she lives so close by. Mo has been an awesome nurse, too, especially considering she's been battling bronchitis this whole time. Unbelievable, if you ask me. She's amazing.

So that's been our weekend. Recuperating. Watching movies. Watching the Oscars. Taking medicine. We're like old people over here. But we're good. And getting better. I just re-read this post, and it kind of rambles. That's the Vicodin talking, I think, but what the hell, let's just post it. Also, here's a photo of my incision!

- Corey


JJSKCK said...

I blame it on Turkey Bowl. You shouldn't have leveled that dude like you did.

Scott McMillin said...

Nice LBJ photo.

Scott McMillin said...

Boy, that comment dated me, didn't it?

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

I hope you both get well soon. As someone who has had 2 hernias, I know what you're going through. I wish Vicodin had been available when I went through mine at age 9. Then again, maybe I'd be a completely different person today had that happened.

Looking forward to seeing you guys in April!

NikkiDooDoo said...

Remember Corey...chicks dig scars.

Get better soon.