Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I Got More Gigs Than Quagmire

Things are really moving in the hair and makeup world. This weekend I was part of the crew for a film contest called the 48hr Film Project. It's nice to finally see connections pay off. I had submitted for the gig through craigslist. Before I even met up with the producer to show her my portfolio, I had the job. Turns out I did the styling for the co-producer's headshots. She gave me such great reviews that I got the job immediately. With this project, teams of filmmakers come together and literally have 48 hours to complete a 5 minute film. They are given a phrase, genre and character and have to write, shoot and edit the entire thing in 2 days. Needless to say it was a bit chaotic. Still, it was a blast, very professional and I met some great people. The producer has done work for the Discovery channel as well as stuff for Nascar, independent films and even films for Second City. Her husband, the director, also has some legit work under his belt. I was very fortunate because they loved me and have promised to bring me in for other more lucrative projects in the future. So, if you're in Chicago tomorrow, there will be a screening of “Brown Dwarf Spectral Features in the Near Infrared" (ArsonPlus Entertainment, Jaque Archer-producer) at the Landmark Century Centre Cinema. Yeah weird title... yeah, weird film.

I got word back on "Murder Madness in the White City," the Bill Kurtis Production and National Geographic documentary about the Columbian Exposition of 1893 and America's First Serial Killer H.H. Holmes. I'm being hired as the hair and makeup stylist for the shoot! They've guaranteed 3, possibly 5 days of work and finally I get paid! Plus they're still going to let me act in it as long as there's time after I finish the rest of the casts' makeup. If it's anything like the music video or recent film I did, there will be plenty of time since it's mostly about sitting around and waiting. I'm so excited I could pee! Hopefully this leads to more. Not more peeing, more stylist and acting jobs.

Things are going so well, that I'm officially starting to look for part time jobs to help subsidize. I definately can't do all these gigs plus keep a full time job.

Giggity, giggity!

- Mo

3 comments:

Steaming bowl o' Calderone said...

That's Fantas-Mo!

Anonymous said...

rilly rilly cool! congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that great Mo! Congrats!